How long can your business be down?

Backup vs. Business Continuity

Data protection solutions are essential for businesses of all sizes to implement, regardless of size, industry and geographic location.

Downtime is real and it’s costly. How costly exactly? Depending on the size of the organization, the cost per hour of downtime is anywhere from $9,000-$700,000.  Over the past few years, 35% of small businesses have lost as much as $500K due to downtime.

What causes downtime? Network outages and human error account for 50% and 45% of downtime, respectively.  Meanwhile, natural disasters account for just 10 percent of downtime. (See Figure 1.)


As it turns out, businesses should be more wary of their own employees and less of natural disasters.  If you’ve been putting off data protection because your organization is located far from any inclement weather, be warned: the bigger threat to your data is inside of your company, not the great outdoors.

Yet nearly 75% of SMBs operate without a disaster recovery plan and only 25% are “extremely confident” that they can restore data if it was compromised.  Only 50% of SMBs back up less than 60% of their data.  The remaining 40%?  No protection for it whatsoever.

What happens when disaster strikes? Businesses must scramble to retrieve important data.  It takes approximately 7 hours to resume normal operations after a data loss incident, with IT managers saying that it takes 11 to 24 hours, or even longer.

Thinking about data backup is a good first step. Business continuity is equally important to consider as it ensures your organization is able to get back up and running in a timely matter if disaster strikes. For example, if your server dies, you wouldn’t be able to quickly get back to work if you only had file-level backup.  Your server would need to be replaced, software and data re-installed, and the whole system would need to be configured with your settings and preferences.  This process could take days.

How Does A Hybrid-Cloud Solution Work?

Your data is first copied and stored on a local device. That way, if something happens, you can do a fast and easy restore from that device. But then your data is also replicated in the cloud. So if anything happens to that device, you’ve got off-site cloud copies of your data.


We would be happy to show you how this can benefit your business.

Please give us a call at 952-928-1788 or email us at


Reminder:  Support will end for Windows Operating System 7 and Windows Server 2008 and 2008R2 on January 14, 2020